Hoeven Works With Local Leaders On Flood Protection Project, Housing Needs in Minot Region
MINOT, N.D. – Senator John Hoeven was in Minot today working with local leaders on how to move the city’s permanent flood protection project forward and address serious housing needs in the region. Hoeven supports a three-part approach to flood protection on the Souris River: enhancing protection using the current flood levee footprint; increasing storage capacity in upper basin reservoirs; and renegotiating the Joint International Souris River Management Agreement to provide more flexibility.
Hoeven also said that Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding that he and the delegation worked to secure in Congress will help homeowners and the community rebuild. The CDBG funding includes more than $67 million in federal funding to help rebuild the city of Minot after record flooding in 2011 and an additional $9.4 million to Ward County. The disaster CDBG funding approved by Congress was first added to the Transportation and HUD Appropriations bill in an amendment introduced by Hoeven during consideration by the Senate Appropriations Committee, on which he serves.
“CDBG funding is critical because it helps families and individuals make decisions about their particular housing plans and needs, which is essential to rebuilding their community,” Senator Hoeven said. “Minot and Ward County residents need to maximize the effectiveness of these and all federal dollars as we work with the community to identify yet unmet needs and develop a strategy to meet those needs.”
Hoeven and the delegation said they will continue to push for additional CDBG funds for North Dakota in the next appropriations cycle. Among those participating in today’s event were Minot Mayor Curt Zimbelman; Ward County Commission Chair John Fjedahl; Burlington Mayor Jerome Gruenberg; President of the Minot Area Chamber of Commerce John MacMartin; and Shirley Dykshoorn, the Director of Lutheran Social Services Disaster Response.
Federal Flood Relief Efforts for Minot/Ward County (As of March 30, 2012)
Based on state damage estimates, the federal government will provide more than $1 billion in assistance to North Dakota communities impacted by last year’s flooding. North Dakota received more funding per capita than any other state in the nation. The funding for North Dakota represents 20 percent of the total CDBG disaster funding allotted this year for the nation.
To date, the total federal flood recovery assistance for Minot and Ward County is more than $534 million, and breaks down as follows:
Grants, Loans and Direct Assistance to Minot/Ward County
• U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 2011 Mouse River flood fight $27 million
(includes funding to date with levee and dam repair funds forthcoming)
• Southern Mouse River Basin Road Repairs, est’d federal share $49.8 million
• Public assistance for infrastructure damage (including schools) $67 million
• FEMA Individual Assistance to date: $89.8 million
• SBA disaster loans: $224 million
• Community Development Block Grants $77 million
• Hazard Mitigation Grant Program estimate pending
(Statewide estimate: $80 million)
• Economic Development Assistance–Disaster Recovery Grants pending
(National funding: $200 million)
Minot/Ward County Grants, loans and direct assistance to date: $534.6 million
Next Article Previous Article