Hoeven: USDA Announces WHIP+ Sign-Up for Ag Producers Impacted by Disasters Begins Sept. 11
Senator Worked as Chairman of Ag Approps to Address 2018 & 2019 Crop Losses & Midwest Flooding
WASHINGTON – Senator John Hoeven, chairman of the Senate Agriculture Appropriations Committee, issued the following statement after the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released details about the Wildfire and Hurricane Indemnity Program Plus (WHIP+) and increased prevent plant indemnities under the disaster funding legislation passed earlier this year.
The disaster relief legislation passed in May included more than $3 billion for USDA to cover crop losses stemming from 2018 and 2019 disasters. Hoeven worked to secure funding for the program along with provisions in the legislation to provide USDA authority to issue additional payments for producers with prevented planting claims as part of their crop insurance policy.
“This disaster assistance program is critically important for farmers across the country impacted by flooding and other natural disasters,” said Hoeven. “Considering the challenges producers currently face, we appreciate USDA working to implement this program and get relief to those who need it most.”
The WHIP+ Program
USDA will provide assistance to producers affected by natural disasters in 2018 and 2019. WHIP+ will cover up to 100% of the calculated value of qualifying 2018 losses and 50% of 2019 losses. Payments from the program will take into account a producer’s crop insurance coverage and size of the loss. No one will receive more than 100% the value of their crop.
Signup for WHIP+ will begin on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at Farm Service Agency (FSA) county offices.
Prevented Plant Coverage
USDA will announce further details for a prevented planting (PP) supplemental disaster payment for producers with PP coverage as part of their crop insurance policy at a later date. Producers with flooding or excess moisture-related PP claims in calendar year 2019 will receive an additional payment equal to 10% of their 2019 PP indemnity. Producers who purchased the harvest price option with their crop insurance policy will be entitled to an additional 5% of their 2019 PP indemnity, for a total of 15%.
Counties with a presidential or secretarial disaster declaration are automatically eligible for assistance. Producers in other counties who meet the minimum loss threshold caused by a qualifying disaster may also be eligible. Contact your local FSA county office or visit www.farmers.gov/recover for more information.
Next Article Previous Article